I hope this finds you all well and avoiding COVID 19. As you know, I am shielding my husband and we haven’t been anywhere although we are lucky enough to have a lovely garden to sit out in when the weather is good. Stitching has been my saviour, particularly around week 7 when I felt the days ticking by particularly slowly.
Good news! I finished Watch on the first of May. I stitched this one for my husband to hang on his office wall and, yes, I love him that much to have devoted 71 weeks across four years to it.
Thanks to the wonder of the stitching app supplied by Scarlet Quince, here are his vital statistics:
- 144,396 stitches +/- a few frogs 😉
- Timeframe: January 2017-May 2020 – 71 weeks across those years as I clearly have more than one project on the go.
- Stitches per hour: 165 – this equates to 2.75 stitches per minute so it really isn’t as fast as it might seem. Plus, I have each of my blended threads loaded on to needles and ready to go, which is a massive time saver.
- Approximate time spent stitching: 52,507 hours – it keeps me off the streets!
I have a few ideas on how I’d like it finish finished: a metal frame for sure but not what colour would be best, and double matting. I will have to wait until (a) framing businesses re-open and (b) I have found a new framer as the lovely Assad retired last year. I know we moved away from him three years ago, but having stitching framed had to be put on the back burner financially so I hadn’t bothered to investigate framers in our new area.
All the above meant that Night (With Her Train of Stars) came out from hibernation. Here is a sequence showing :
- Where I left her last
- The row finish
- Where I am now
I finally got the hang of sizing her properly so the images are easier to view when in a gallery. In these uncertain times, I find the blues very soothing.
As stitchers, you know it is virtually impossible to have only one project on the go at any one time, so let me introduce you to Jolly Robin – Flipped:
This is going to be the companion piece to the Jolly Robin kitted up by Bothy Threads which I stitched last year. The total number of colours in that kit was 16 and, although the picture looked OK when I finished, I yearned for something more detailed and nuanced:
I found a stitching programme which allowed me to go crazy with the colours. After cleaning up the image to remove the dots surrounding the robin, I ended up with *ahem* 125 colours. Here’s what the thread box looks like for this project:
This robin will be more pink than the kitted one because that’s what the original artwork called for. Bothy Threads kindly sell the splat printed aida on its own so, when it arrives, I’ll give it a whirl. I have enormous respect for those who create these patterns as I spent more (non-stitching!) hours than I care to think about cleaning up the image and, even then, I think I’ll need to adjust as I go, particularly with those feet and the lower left hand side of the body where it is white feather against white aida. For copyright issues, I must reiterate I created this pattern for personal use only.
Whew, there you have my lockdown stitching. Stay safe, stay well and I’ll see you again in a couple of months to see what the world looks like.
Love and health to you all. Christine xxx